Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Thursday, March 7

We've been watching re-runs of the UK version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire?  I'm addicted to shouting out the answers at the screen and I always have my ipad handy so I can check if I don't know.  Today, we were watching the program from October 16, 2000.  I was able to answer that Al Gore's wife was named Tipper, that the word 'robot' comes from Czech, and that New Mexico does not have a border on the Gulf of Mexico, so I was feeling pretty pleased with myself.

The presenter is a fellow called Chris Tarrant who got his start in TV by presenting programs about railways.  He's OK but he wouldn't survive in TV today.  On today's program, the contestant was an attractive young woman with long reddish-blonde hair.  Whenever she got a question right, Chris jumped from his seat, grabbed her head and gave a her a kiss on the forehead.  Marilyn and I have become accustomed to modern sensibilities and instinctively drew back in horror.  We would describe it as an uninvited invasion of her personal space.  He doesn't do it with more mature ladies so there's certainly a sleazy element to it.

I wonder how Mr Tarrant feels when he watches the programs back.  Is he embarrassed or does he shrug and say they were different times?  Maybe he should have stuck to railways.

No comments:

Post a Comment