Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Thursday, April 21

Things are staring to look up; I got my MacBook back today, all cleaned up and ready to go.  When I say 'cleaned up' I mean scrubbed clean of most of the stuff I had saved and the programs that I use regularly.  First and foremost, I need to re-instal Word so I can keep up with the demands of the blog and the stories for the Friday Writing Group.

The Word program that I use is part of a multi-user arrangement that Jamie has set up.  One subscription covers him and Nera, Marilyn and me and several of Nera's sisters and nephews in Balatan.  I'ts a great arrangement, and saves me some money, but it means I need to go through a certain rigmarole to get access to it again.

He and Nera have gone to Devonport for a couple of days so I'll have to wait until he gets back to organise that.  Don't ask me how I am able to write this message without Word; blogger must have its own word processor built in, or something.  Like Sergeant Schulz, 'I know nothing!'

There's a fellow on YouTube I've been watching for a few weeks now. He posts under the umbrella 'Planes, Trains and Everything' and his name is Scott.  He is a Scotsman and has one of those 'lived-in' faces you might see on any draughty Scottish railway station, dragging on a fag and shivering with cold.  There's no point to most of his little videos: one might show him travelling on a new train or visiting the smallest station on the network, but today he branched out and set himself a challenge to travel on 2 buses, 2 trains and 3 ferries in one day.  Hardly riveting stuff but it does show how people live in out-of-the-way places and how they entertain themselves.

It makes me think how nice it would be if we had a proper integrated public transport system like other advanced countries in the world.  Here in Tasmania we are dependent on personal cars and, if that fails, we have to ring an Uber. Not good enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment