Saturday, April 23, 2022

Sunday, April 24

I made my first winter stew yesterday.  In our house, I'm responsible for casseroles and soups because they're my favourite meals.  I have a number of different recipes but they all have a nodding acquaintance with the food my mother used to cook.

Yesterday, I started with four good lamb chops from the local abattoir.  I had been to the supermarket and bought carrots, red potatoes, parsnips, turnips and onions.  I had also put about one-third of a cup of barley to soak overnight.  I divided the chops into three or four pieces each and browned them in the frypan. Into the slow-cooker, I put the pieces of meat, chopped vegetables and the barley, with about half a litre of chicken stock and salt and pepper.

All done, and just a matter of leaving it to look after itself until it smells right. I finished it off with a couple of handfuls of frozen peas and  it's  a meal fit for a king.  That lot made about four good servings and so I'm sorted until Tuesday unless Jamie comes around and smells the breeze.  If he knows there's lamb stew in the house, he'll expect his share.

No comments:

Post a Comment