Thursday, September 8, 2022

Friday, September 9

It's sad news that the Queen has died.  She's been on the throne for 70 years which is more than most people's lifetimes but I'm old enough to remember her coronation and, typically, I also have a recollection of one of the unfortunate occurrences which haunt my memory.

I think she was crowned in June, 1953.  Soon after, there was an event at Gwynneville Primary School which involved all the classes and their parents.  It might have been an end-of-year prize-giving or plays or something.  We used the verandah of the Years 3/4 classes with all the parents sitting on chairs in the playground facing the makeshift stage.

My job (maybe the only one!) was to announce the singing of the National Anthem which at that time was God Save the Queen.  I must have had a mental blank because I totally forgot that we now had a queen and announced, in my nervous voice, God Save the King.

Apparently the Queen died at 3.30 am AEST.  Marilyn tells me that something woke her at 3.30 and she couldn't get back to sleep so had to read for half an hour or so until her mind relaxed again.  Spooky!  The story is spoiled a little bit because she says she went to the toilet  before she picked up her book.  I'm cynical enough to think that that's what work her.

No comments:

Post a Comment