Friday, September 23, 2022

Saturday, September 24

I'm reading a book I downloaded from the library; it's an author I've not seen before called Craig Robertson who seems to be Scottish.  This book is called The Last Refuge and is set in the Faroe Islands which are in the North Sea somewhere north of Scotland.  They're a part of Denmark and have a  population of around 50000 people.

I hadn't really ever given any thought to the Faroe Islands but, if pressed, I would have thought they were like the Shetlands: cold and bleak where the men go out fishing and the women knit jumpers with elaborate patterns.  That's not far from the truth and there are other similarities too.  On Shetland, there is a  traditional hunt each year for gannet chicks, on the Faroes it is puffins.  It would be a hard life existing close to the Arctic Circle and that certainly comes through in the book.

I'm now on another of this author's books called Cold Grave and there are a few more after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment