Sunday, December 18, 2022

Monday, December 19

When I get to the gym in the morning, I always check the sign-in book to see who is there before me.  It's always a bit of a toss-up because so many don't bother to follow the procedures.  I suspect many of those who come at that time are 'illegals' using the facilities without paying, but not my problem.

Today, I saw that there were three people before me: Raylene, Gaelene and Brick. You couldn't invent three names like that!  I'd seen the two women's names before but Brick was a new one.  I imagined what he would look like: short, muscular, laconic.

In the gym, there were the two women and two men, one of whom was clearly a regular who hadn't bothered to sign in.  He was probably in his 60s, shortish, longish grey hair and a grey walrus moustache. In my imagination the moustache is stained with nicotine but that's probably not true.  He always wears a shabby pair of grey track-suit pants and an off-white t-shirt in need of ironing.  An old hippy, I assume.

Brick was unprepossessing: not very tall, not very muscular, wearing a baseball cap.  I wonder how he copes with his name.  Some parents have a lot to answer for.

No comments:

Post a Comment