Saturday, December 24, 2022

Sunday, December 25

Happy Christmas to all my readers!  I've said this tongue-in-cheek, of course.  All my readers is a bit of a stretch. I note from the stats that a total of one (1) long-suffering person read the blog yesterday.  Anyway, Happy Christmas to him or her, whoever it may be.

I've come to the realisation that I'm a slow-learner, in the sense that I tend to jump to the same conclusions even though those conclusions have been shown to be wrong in the past.  Last night, I was aware of the sound of sirens a couple of streets away.  That's not unusual: the ambulance and police depots are not far away and we hear sirens quite often.  My first thought is how sad it is that someone's Christmas is being ruined by a car accident or an illness, or something worse.

The sirens continued and I heard them coming closer. It still didn't occur to me what was really going on, so I wandered outside to see whether they were coming up my street.  They were.  It finally dawned on me that it was the annual lolly drop by the firies, the amboes and the police.  How many times have I heard it all before and how many times have I wondered how awful it would be if my house went on fire on Christmas Eve?  And how long, I wondered, before I made the connections with Christmas Eve and sirens equalling lollies?

Most of our neighbours had come to the front gate as well so it was good to be able too wish them Happy Christmas.  They were all female, of course; the bloke next door is away again.

No comments:

Post a Comment