Monday, August 21, 2023

Monday, August 22

We've been watching The Voice for the past couple of weeks.  I have to steel myself not to comment on the obvious hype and histrionics but it is interesting to see the enthusiastic young performers desperate for a toehold into the industry.  Of course, there are some old-timers who can't let go and keep trying to get someone to notice them.  Last night, a couple of real old-timers called The Bushwackers strutted their stuff. I remember them from forty years ago when I was teaching in Hobart and they're still around, singing the same old songs.

One of them claimed that he had helped write I Am Australian which I always thought was a Seeker's song so I checked Google and he was right;  he and Bruce Woodley wrote the lyrics.  Have I said it before?  It oughta be our national anthem!

One very solemn young woman came on playing some esoteric Himalayan instruments and mouthing calm words ... all very zen. The audience must have found themselves almost falling to sleep.  And the producers cut to an announcement ... Monday night's Lotto Numbers!   We can't be allowed to forget what's really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment