Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Wednesday, August 16

What a lethargic day we are having.  I went to the gym as usual but, apart from my normal chores, there's nothing happening.  I managed to write my story for the Friday Writing Group and am now twiddling my thumbs trying to fill in time.

I've been reading a book called 1491 which purports to tell about what was happening in The Americas before Christopher Columbus sailed in and spoiled it all.  South America, particularly, was a great centre of civilisation but the Spanish Conquistadores soon put paid to that.  It was pandemics which took the most toll, though, rather than Spanish swords.  The natives had no resistance to diseases like Scarlet Fever and whole communities were wiped out.

I don't know why I bother reading this stuff; it just makes me depressed.  I had a Facebook message from a friend that he and his wife are flying off to Budapest to do a cruise along the Danube to Amsterdam.  Now, that's a lot more interesting! Would I like to be there with him?  Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment