Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Wednesday, August 2

It's not often that people have a song written about them. Of course, I haven't had that honour but, this morning, I heard a song that has my name in it.  I have a collection of songs that I listen to in the car.  Recently, I've been listening to a selection by Judy Collins, all hits from the 1960s and '70.  I don't usually listen very carefully but this morning I heard, as clear as a bell, the line 'John Christie was the murderer.'

Of course, I went straight to Google to check it out.  The song is called Tim Evans and tells the story of a young man who was found guilty of murdering his wife, Beryl and infant daughter, Geraldine, and was hanged in 1950.  Later, it was found that the real murderer was his landlord, John Christie.

It's not much fun sharing a name with a notorious murderer.  Years ago, I was stopped by a policeman in Hobart who asked for my licence.  When he looked at it, he said, 'I've just been reading about you.'  He gave me my licence back and told me to have a nice day.


No comments:

Post a Comment