Sunday, November 5, 2023

Monday, November 6

 It's a beautiful day and it's a public holiday so we're taking the chance to do nothing.  The holiday is called Recreation Day and draws a bit of criticism in Tassie.  It has no meaning; it's not a religions day nor a day of remembrance nor a celebratory day for a royal birthday.  It's just a day off because somewhere else in Tasmania is having a day off and we deserve one too.

Hobart has always celebrated Regatta Day in February so Northern Tasmania stamped its foot and demanded a day off too: not in the winter, mind, but in a nice warm part of the year.   And so was born Recreation Day.

Marilyn has put her hand up to work at the exams again this year, supervising students at Launceston College but I've decided that I've done my bit.  I'll act as Support Person, driving her to and from and keeping the home fires burning.  That starts this week and runs for a fortnight.  I expect I'll be watching a bit more television to fill in the lonely hours when she's off earning a quid.

No comments:

Post a Comment