Friday, November 24, 2023

Saturday, November 25

 It's a miserable day in Northern Tasmania and we're expecting a guest this afternoon. Marilyn's sister, Anne, will fly in for another visit and it's a shame the weather is not more welcoming. Still, we don't have plans for excessive tripping around; Anne will be happy to sit around chatting as it's company she misses. We do have several functions to attend so she'll have to put up with at least three Probus Christmas functions.

I had written a story for my writing group yesterday called The Pearl Necklace.  I based it on a time when we bought a black pearl necklace from a small shop on the island of Mindoro in the Philippines.  I had to build in the fiction that it was later stolen by the wife of the Rotary President.  Not a great story but the other members of the group were much more enthusiastic about it than other stories I've written and I think are better.  Anyway, I'll post it on 1000 words or Less if anyone is interested.

The real story of the trip to Mindoro is that we bought the pearls from a young bloke on the beach and, at the same time, I bought an Omega watch from him.  He took a couple of links out of the band so I could wear it and I paraded back along the beach to show it off to our fellow-travellers.  We were harassed by every shyster and beggar as we walked back, jostling us and demanding to show us what they were selling. When we arrived at the restaurant we were heading for, my watch had disappeared - from off my wrist! - and I had no recollection of how it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment