Saturday, November 4, 2023

Sunday, November 5

Years ago when Mum was moving into a unit in Wollongong, I acquired a ladder that had once belonged to my Dad.  It was a typical 6 foot, wooden stepladder with a hinge at the top and paint spatters on the rungs.  It came with us when we moved to Tasmania and was very useful on many occasions.   We still had it when we moved into a unit in Deloraine, perhaps twenty years later.

I decided it would be nice if I turned it into an easel and display a favourite painting on it. I had already tried to hang the painting on the wall but it was a bit heavy and pulled out the hook.  I cut several inches off the bottom of the ladder, painted it white and it fulfilled its role until we moved back to Dilston.

Somewhere along the way, I lost sight of it and assumed it had been left somewhere in one of our moves.  The other day, I caught sight of a wooden ladder outside a second-hand shop in Longford: about the right height, painted white.  Could it be the same ladder?  I made a mental note to call in one day to check it out.

However, it all came to naught.  Jamie is cleaning out his garage today and rang to tell me that Dad's ladder is there; it had been hidden behind some more junk.  Good news, indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment