Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Thursday, November 2

 I've often wondered whether hair grows faster in the winter.  It would make sense, from an evolutionary point of view: those with longer, thicker hair would have an advantage in colder weather.  I must look it up some time.

I thought about it this week when my own hair started to bother me.  It's too long, too thick and too unruly.  We have a regular hair appointment every few weeks and that normally suits me quite well.  Whatever the interval is, my hair seems to be just about ready for a trim when the appointment comes around.  But, nit this time.  I asked Marilyn when the appointment is due and she said it was today.  'Just about time,' I thought.  My hair is longer than it has been for years and it's a bit of a bother.  I have been blaming it on the cold weather we have been having and my body's reaction to that by growing the hair a little bit faster.

There was a time in the past when I cultivated the long-haired, academic look but, nowadays, I prefer the tidier, managerial, style.  There's nothing worse than these old hippies who try to pretend they're still the vibrant, young stirrers who want to change the world, by cultivating the look which was all the rage in the 60s.  I'd rather that people who meet me now think that I was a dignified member of society, rather than a rebellious, self-destructive misfit.

Marilyn's 'phone rang this morning and it was the hairdresser.  Apparently three of her staff have rung in sick and she can't get our hair done today.  Instead, she's opening up on Saturday afternoon to take up the slack.  What kind of hairdresser has three staff off sick on the same day?  Is it a pandemic or are they all off together on a jaunt?

It doesn't suit me but I'll just have to out up with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment