Saturday, September 2, 2023

Monday, September 4

I mentioned recently that Marilyn and I are 'like Darby and Joan' in the way we are living our lives.  This comment amused Jamie who went looking on Google to find the origin of the phrase.  He found that there was a painting from about 1890 by James Charles and people began to compare older married couples with the subjects of the painting.

I can see how people might confuse the man in the painting with me but I can't see any glimmer of Marilyn in his partner. What a haunted look the poor man has in his eyes! (If the picture doesn't load, Google it yourself!)

Frederic Weatherly mentioned Darby and Joan in a Victorian poem.

Hand in hand when our life was May
Hand in hand when our hair is grey
Shadow and sun for every one,
As the years roll on;
Hand in hand when the long night tide
Gently covers us side by side–
Ah! lad, though we know not when,
Love will be with us forever then:
Always the same, Darby my own,
Always the same to your old wife Joan.



No comments:

Post a Comment