Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Wednesday, September 6

I went to a Mens Table last night.  I had booked to attend one of these events before but a trip to hospital meant that I had to cancel at the last minute.  This time the invitation came through Jamie. The organiser, Ben, was putting together another group and met Jamie at one of the organisation he belonged to.  Ben remembered my name and asked Jamie to bring me along.

These groups are self-help groups for men.  Each 'table' has a dozen or so members who meet up monthly for a meal. Members can share their issues and get a sympathetic ear.  It's not about solving problems but simply offering support.  Ben started this initiative in Sydney but has now moved to Tasmania.  There are already 5 groups in Launceston.  He gets funding through state and federal governments but each 'table' is self sufficient.

I think I might be interested but I'll wait until one starts in Longford.  I wouldn't want to be in the same group as Jamie and, anyway, wouldn't relish the drive to and from Launceston on a cold winter night.

No comments:

Post a Comment