Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Thursday, September 21

 A few weeks ago, Jamie helped a couple of friends move into a smaller unit.  The two men are filipino, one is quite severely disabled so they appreciated Jamie's help.  After the dust settled, Jamie took home many, many pot plants which wouldn't fit into the smaller yard, and a birdbath.  I've always wanted a birdbath.  It's possible that I might have let people know that I have always wanted a birdbath because it seems to be common knowledge among my family and friends.

My father used to say, "My wants are few," when we asked him what he would like for Christmas and I have tried to follow his philosophy but I have always wanted a birdbath, so you can understand how delighted I was when Jamie turned up with a birdbath in the back of his car.  It now sits in the front garden of our unit.

It's possibly not what I would have chosen if I were looking for one to buy.  It seems to be a naked child or cherub, balancing a bowl on his shoulders and is terracotta in colour.  However, I'm delighted to have it.  The local birds haven't shown any interest as yet but the weather is still a little chilly and things might change when Spring starts to take effect.  This morning, though, I heard the sound of birds through the front window.  I looked out and there were a couple of blackbirds scratching around in the bark around the feet of the cherub.  

It's a good start, although I would be happier if the birds were Superb Blue Wrens or Goldfinches, something a bit more colourful than the Common Blackbird, Turdus merula ... even the Latin name is nasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment