Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Thursday, September 14

Every year, the Longford Probus Club has a lunch at the Bowls Club.  They invite the members of the local Women's Club, most of whom are their wives and a courtesy invitation goes out to other Probus Clubs who are not too far away.  I've visited a couple of times in the past representing the Deloraine Club but this year, of course, I'm there as a member and Marilyn came along as my guest.

One of their traditions is to have a Wine Raffle.  Each member 'donates' a bottle of wine and tickets are sold to the assembled multitude.  It must be a pretty good money-spinner.  I've never won a bottle at any time in the past and I've been aware that some lucky people win two or three, so I'm not always happy.

This year, of course, I was obliged to donate a bottle; I happened to have a nice bottle of Margaret River red which has been hanging around since my birthday so I duly took it along, paid my $5 for tickets and waited for the inevitable outcome - watching someone else winning all the prizes, and there were 19 of them.  As it happened, my ticket was drawn out when there were just two bottles left, and I ended up taking my Margaret River red back home with me.  Could have been worse!


No comments:

Post a Comment