Friday, May 13, 2022

Friday, May 13

Friday has come around again and, if I didn't know better, I'd say they're coming more frequently.  Perhaps it's just that time passes more quickly as you get older.  Still, I mustn't allow myself to become morbid.  There was a time when I might have been a little worried about the date: Friday, 13th, but I know that's just a superstition, promoted by marketers trying to make a quick buck.

My story for Writing Group today is on the topic 'Murder in the Shady Banks Retirement Home' and I've allowed myself to have fun with the main character, Muriel, who writes stories and enjoys reading them to the rest of the inmates.  Her stories have titles like 'Murder on the Sushi Express', set in a Japanese restaurant, and 'Death on the Pile', inspired by the scenes of heaps of debris piled up outside flooded houses in Lismore.  She also happens to be the murderer.

We're supposed to limit ourselves to between 700 and 800 words and it's hard, sometimes to keep the story within those limits.  Of course, the tutor is too polite to pull us up if we overstep the mark and there has been more than one occasion when we've had to sit through 1000 words or more on some tedious story of unrequited love.  Unfortunately, I'm conditioned to accept rules and I work assiduously to trim my tales to acceptable limits.  Today's story about Muriel had lots of scope for expansion but that will have to wait for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment