Friday, May 6, 2022

Saturday, May 7

Election season gets under way from today when Marilyn and I vote in the Tasmanian Legislative Council poll.  It's hard to take it seriously: there are just fifteen members and their only function seems to be to rubber-stamp the decisions of the lower house, the Legislative Assembly.  I think many Tasmanians see it as a place where older public figures go to keep themselves busy in retirement.  It certainly doesn't get much publicity and that probably suits the incumbents.

I had thought I would be just a bystander to this year's Federal Election but I had a call yesterday asking me if I would get involved in the count.  I said yes and put down the phone; within seconds, Marilyn's phone rang and she was asked the same question.  I start my work at  9 pm on the Saturday night while Marilyn is still at her polling station, and we will then both be involved from the Sunday until everything has been double-checked.

We quite enjoyed it last time and it was quite lucrative.  Maybe we'll be able to spend it on a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment