Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Wednesday, May 18

It's hard to avoid brain washing nowadays when we're being bombarded on all sides by 'experts' who are trying to sell us something, whether it's a point of view or a product of some kind.  However, just occasionally I succumb and allow myself to be drawn in.

Yes, I've been caught out.  I have fallen for the lure of 'Nordic Socks'.  I've seen the ads and been enthralled by the vibrant colours and the promises of never having cold feet again.  The enticement that I could have five pairs at half price as an 'end-of-season special' was the clincher.  Off went my credit card details and I waited for the expected parcel.

It came and its's fair to say I was underwhelmed.  The socks look good but are barely adequate.  They're a bit short in the leg and in the foot, even though I bought the large size.  It surprises me because I had always thought that Norwegians and other people from Nordic countries had enormous feet.  There's not much stretch in them and they don't have the feel of natural materials.  

The final straw came today when I noticed that one I was wearing had a seam down the side.  I had assumed that socks were knitted in a circle and there would be no seam.  How naive I was!

Recently, when we were staying in Hobart, I ran short and bought a couple of pairs of cheap socks from Big W.  In all respects they are better socks than the not-cheap Nordic ones: not as bright, of course, but nobody has commented on my Nordic socks anyway.    I think I'll buy local in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment