Sunday, May 1, 2022

Monday, May 2

 Every now and again, I like to get my teeth into a book that’s a bit more ‘meaty’ than the usual thrillers I enjoy: a book like ‘Sapiens’, which I’ve read twice now – once on a cruise when I had plenty of time to fill, and again more recently when the pandemic confined us to barracks.

 

Sapiens looked at the rise of Homo Sapiens and how this species became pre-eminent in the world often at the expense of other species and bio-systems.  It’s a book to make you think.

 

This week, I became aware of another book which seems to put a toe into the same subject matter; in fact, some of the reviews tout it as the ‘New Sapiens’.  It’s called The Dawn of Everything – a New History of Humanity.  It’s written by a couple of scientists, one of whom is an archaeologist, the other an anthropologist.  It’s started well and I suspect I’ll enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment