Sunday, May 15, 2022

Monday, May 16

I look forward to an email I receive every Friday from Virginia Trioli.  She has a radio program on the ABC in Melbourne but I remember her from her time on the ABC Breakfast TV show.  Clearly, at some time, I've signed up to receive her regular email and have forgotten I've done so.  This week she talked about a dilemma being faced by voters around Australia.  What does a voter do when he/she wants to vote for a local Liberal candidate (like the impressive Bridget Archer in Bass) but doesn't want to put up with another four years of Scott Morrison? It gets back to my frequent complaints that the average voter has no  say in who will be the Prime Minister.  Maybe it's time to re-visit the idea of becoming a republic and we can all be involved in voting for our President.

Marilyn and I decided we'd visit the gym this weekend.  I've avoided going there when there's no staff around but Marilyn was keen so we fronted up.  We have a key so there was no problem with entry.  There were a few people around; some kids playing basketball in the stadium part but the rest was in darkness.  We headed for the area where all the machines are and it seemed deserted although the big TV was on with the usual high energy music.

Great, I thought, there's no-one here so we don't have to put up with that, and turned it off.  Marilyn and I took a bike each and started our routine.  A minute later, a small angry woman came up and switched the music back on again.  She must have been in the back area, out of sight.

What's the protocol, I wonder, for gymnasiums.  Is it that the first person there decides whether the music plays or not?  Or should it be that the majority rules?  Marilyn and I were two people who wanted the music off and this woman was only one.  Why did she think she had priority?


No comments:

Post a Comment