Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Thursday, May 26

Sometimes a name or a reference in a newspaper will trigger memories which you think are long forgotten.  I experienced that this morning when I was browsing the newspaper and came across the name: Kumi Taguchi.  I've never met Kumi but her mother was my Japanese teacher at Gib Gate.  I went on two trips to Japan with Mary and will always be grateful for being introduced to that fabulous country.  Marilyn and I have been back several times since and took Madeleine there for her tenth birthday.

Mary studied in Japan in the sixties and later met and married a Japanese journalist working in Melbourne.  They had two children but, when he was still quite young, he moved into what Mary describes as 'an old person's home' in Melbourne, where he eventually died at 84.

Kumi is a journalist and is the host of the SBS show Insight.  Next Tuesday, the program will be looking at children who didn't know their parents until they were adults.  Kumi says she never knew her father and 'only reconnected with him' in her twenties.  We'll have to watch out for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment