Monday, May 9, 2022

Tuesday, May 10

Jamie's birthday today and it would be nice to go out for lunch but he and Nera are in Hobart so we'll have to postpone it for another time.

Marilyn woke early this morning, as she often does, and wandered through to make herself a cup of coffee, as she often does.  I was still asleep but I heard her complaining, "We've got a blackout!"  Then she changed her tune, "It's a brownout," because the bedside clock numbers were flashing and the little night light in the hallway was glowing faintly.

By the time I pulled myself together, it was completely dark.  Not only did we have no lights, there was no power to boil water for coffee and the air conditioner had gone off and the cold was creeping back into the corners.  I checked the Aurora Energy website and found we were suffering an outage, one of only two in the state.  We pulled the covers over our heads and went back to sleep.

By ten o'clock, I had discovered 905 homes were affected and it had been caused by a motor vehicle accident.  We decided we would get dressed and head off looking for a coffee shop but, at that point, the lights flickered back on and we went about our morning routine as normal, albeit a bit late.  Sadly, I missed my session at the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment