Friday, May 20, 2022

Saturday, May 21

Marilyn has headed off to her polling station ready for a big day. My shift doesn't start until 3.30 so I'll have most of the day to myself.  I turned on the TV to get the news and stumbled upon the last few minutes of this week's Q&A.  I haven't watched it for years and it's certainly changed from the days of Tony Jones.

The audience this week was mostly young people; I didn't hear any of their questions but I thought how incongruous it was that the male politicians on the panel were all dressed in their uniform of grey suit, white shirt and tie.  It's harder to point the finger at females whose dress sense varies so much but I wondered whether anyone in a position like that could ever have any credibility with 18-year olds voting for the first time.

The other day I came across a story about a 92-year old who realised he was probably voting for the last time.  He decided it was selfish of him to vote for his own narrow wishes so went along to the local High School to talk to the kids who are growing up into this Australia that his generation will leave them.  He didn't give any information about what they had said but did hint that he wouldn't be voting for either of the major parties.

It's food for thought. Perhaps more of us should try to put more emphasis on what might be best for our grandchildren than for ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment